$6,000 – The purpose of this grant is to support and encourage classroom-based research in precollege mathematics education in collaboration with college or university mathematics educators. For 2019-20 grants with a maximum of $6,000 each will be awarded to mathematics educators or classroom teachers currently teaching mathematics at the grades 7-12 level. The research must be a collaborative effort involving a college or university mathematics educator (a mathematics education researcher or a teacher of mathematics learning, teaching, or curriculum) and one or more grades 7-12 classroom teachers (individuals who spend half or more of their work time teaching in the classroom). The proposal may include, but is not restricted to, research on the following topics:
• Curriculum development and implementation
• Involvement of at-risk students or students from diverse backgrounds and experiences
• Students’ thinking about a particular mathematics concept or set of concepts
• Connection of mathematics to other disciplines
• Focused learning and teaching of mathematics with embedded use of technology (any acquisition of equipment must support the proposed plan but not be the primary focus of the grant)
• Innovative assessment or evaluation strategies
Involvement of preservice teachers is encouraged but not required. This research should lead to a draft article suitable for submission in the Mathematics Teacher Educator,Journal for Research in Mathematics Education , or in one of the NCTM school journals. Proposals must address the following: research design, the plan for collecting and analyzing data, and the anticipated impact on students’ learning.
The primary applicant must be a current (on or before October 12, 2018) Essential or Premium member of NCTM , if a 9-12 teacher, or one who teaches at a college or university. 7th or 8th grade teacher primary applicant may be a current (on or before October 12, 2018) Essential or Premium member of NCTM or teach at a school having a current (on or before October 12, 2018) NCTM Pre-K-8 school membership . No person(s) may receive more than one award administered by the Mathematics Education Trust in the same academic year. Past recipients of this grant are not eligible to reapply. All grant activities must be completed between June 1, 2019, and May 31, 2021.